Ivan Hurst's exploration of Genealogy

Fifield's of Minety

 

Fifield's of Minety, Wiltshire

The Fifield family may have moved to Minety during the first quarter of 1700s.

Minety Marriages 1607The first entry of a marriage in the Parish records (Bishops Transcripts) was in 1607. Christopher Mills and Grace Morgan married on the 15th October 1607. 

The Bishops Transcripts records are the source of this information until the 4th December 1633, when William Waigth, of Andover & Grace, daughter of Henry Rutter, of Minety are married.

Minety Marriages Fifield 1726 1732

 

 Volume 1 of the Parish records appear to be next listed, 30 years later, commencing with the marriage of John Browne, of Hankerton, & Anne Rimon, widow, of Minety on 20 July 1663.

There does not appear to be any entries in this transcription of the Parish Registers between 1663 and 1725. Then, like buses, they come in threes.

  • Lawrence Jacob, of Swindon, & Mrs Hannah Fifield, of Lisshill, Castle Eaton were married by licence on 8th November 1725. 
  • Joseph Crosshold, of Beesly, & Mrs. Anne Fifield of Minety on 24th April 1731
  • Mr William Rutter, of Chalford Bottom, in Beesby, & Mrs Elizabeth Fifield, of Minety, married on 26th October 1732.

All three appear to be widows, having married into the Fifield family.

 

Marriage Lawrance Jacob Mrs Hannah FifieldMarriage Lawrance Jacob Mrs Hannah Fifield. The original parish record of Lawrence and Hannah marriage on 8th November 1725.

 

 

 

 

There are no further entries in this transcribed volume for Fifield, which goes up to 1812.

 

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870


MINETY, or MINTY, a village and a parish in Malmsbury district, Wilts. The village stands near the ancient forest of Bredon, and near the Swindon and Gloucester branch of the Great Western railway, 3¾ miles SW of the boundary with Gloucestershire, and 5½ ENE of Malmsbury; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post office under Malmsbury. The parish comprises 3,470 acres. Real property, £7,293. Pop., 182. Houses, 169. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Capt. Arthur Mullings. Minety House is a chief residence. There is a mineral spring. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £300. Patron, the Archdeacon of Wilts. The church is later English, in fair condition, with a tower; and contains a piscina, and a brass and monuments of the Powletts, the Pleydells, and others. Charities, £40. Admiral Penn’s father was a resident.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

There is also an extensive article about Minety in British History Online.

minety map.73.001From Andrews' and Dury's Map of Wiltshire, 1773: Minety

 

minety map004Map of the Civil Parish of Minety. From the Ordnance Survey 1890s revision of the one inch to one mile map. The modern civil parish has been superimposed.

To do ...

There is a will which may have a reference to a Fifield;

Will of Thomas Browne, Gentleman of Minety, Gloucestershire.

I have not yet transcribed it.

 

There may also be a marriage record which may have William Fifield as a Vicar of Minety.

 

William Fifield as one of the founders of the great migration.

 

OS Map 25 Minety


Print   Email

List of Articles