Wedding of Let and Percy


Wedding of parents,

Peggy and Norman


A Tome inside Bath Abbey


Merchant Navy War Memorial


Golden Hinde, London


Olympic Torch carrier running through Sutton 2012


Temple Bar Memorial


HRH Queen Elizabeth II in Epsom


Railway Permanent Way (Track) workers

at London Bridge remodelling


Golden Anniversary

Peter and Gloria 2009

previous arrow
next arrow

Elizabeth Eldridge b. 1826


Elizabeth Eldridge

Baptised Elizabeth Eldridge 23 July 1826Baptism

Elizabeth was baptised on 23rd July 1826 according to the available records. Also in the parish of Llanbadrig, Anglesey, Wales. Recorded as daughter of Richard & Martha Eldridge of Cemmaes, with Richard's profession being belonging as Mariner to the Preventative Boat.


LLANBADRIG (LLAN-BADRIG), a parish, in the hundred of Tâlybolion, union and county of Anglesey, North Wales, 5 miles (W. N. W.) from Amlwch. It is supposed to derive its name from the dedication of its church to St. Patrick, who, being commissioned by Pope Celestine to preach the doctrines of Christianity to the Irish, is said to have been, on his way thither, detained for some time in the island of Mona, the present Anglesey, and to have founded at this place, in the year 440, the first Christian church built in the district. The church is inconveniently situated on the shore, and so near to the sea that, during the prevalence of northerly or north-westerly winds, the waves break over it with such violence as occasionally to interrupt the performance of divine service, at which time the church is with some difficulty accessible. There are two places of worship for Calvinistic Methodists, two for Independents, and two for Baptists.


"LLANBADRIG, a parish in the hundred of Tal-y-Bolion, county Anglesey, 3½ miles W. of Amlwch, its post town, and 7 N.W. of Llanerchymedd. It is situated at the head of a small creek on the coast, opening to the Irish Sea. The parish includes the township of Clygyrog and the little port of Cemmaes, which is visited by small vessels laden with coal and corn. There are extensive quarries of limestone and serpentine marble. Small quantities of yellow ochre and copper ore have been found. The village is considerable, and some of the inhabitants are engaged in fishing and in the coasting trade. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bangor, value £169. The church, dedicated to St. Patrick, is an ancient structure built on the same spot as one said to have been founded in 440 by that saint. It stands close to the sea-shore, opposite an island named Ynys Badrig, from a circumstance recorded in the legendary life of the great Irish apostle. There is a free school endowed with £24, and other charities producing in all about £37 per annum. In the neighbourhood are two cromlechs, one mutilated." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]



Marriage Elizabeth Eldridge James HoneMarriage on 19th August 1849 of Elizabeth Eldridge and James Hone at Christ Church With St Mary and St Stephen, Spitalfields, Tower Hamlets, Middlesex, England


Elizabeth Eldridge married James Hone on 19th August 1849. They are both of full age, aged 23 which suggests that they were born on 1826, which is correct for Elizabeth. 

He is a bachelor, a Carman residing at No 4 Cox's Square, in Spitalfields, and she is a spinster, residing at the same address. James's father is recorded as James Hone, a coachman. Elizabeth's father is Richard Eldridge, a Custom House Officer. The name and profession correlate with other sources. Later research revealed that Cox's Square was situated between Middlesex Street and Bell Lane, near the current Strype Street. See text and maps below to reveal how that was established.

The witnesses are Richard Eldridge and Sarah Hone by her X mark. It is not clear if this is Richard Eldridge the father or the brother.

The Halifax estate in Spitalfields

In 1691 a private Act gave Elizabeth, the widow of Edward Montague, power to grant, with her trustees, leases of her property in Stepney for not more than fifty-one years. The houses on her land, presumably both in Spitalfields and Mile End New Town, were said to be mostly ’old Timber buildings and very apt to be ruinous and in decay’; but if building or repairing leases for an assured term of years could be granted there were several persons willing to take leases ’ of the said Houses which are old and ruinous and of small value and in the place thereof and in other voyd places to new build good and Substantial Houses whereby very considerable improvements may be made’.

The rebuilding included some reconstruction of the layout. Part of this, the making of Montague Street in the south-eastern corner of the area, is shown completed on Gascoine's map of 1703. Other changes, including the making of Cox's Square and its linking with Middlesex Street and Bell Lane, were probably carried out later, perhaps under leases granted to John Cox and to Henry Philp of Stepney, bricklayer, by Elizabeth Montague and others in about 1708.


In 1883 the Metropolitan Board of Works widened Middlesex Street between Whitechapel High Street and Wentworth Street, as part of the Goulston Street improvement plan. In 1889 the London County Council was asked by the Whitechapel District Board to extend the improvement northward by widening that part of the present Middlesex Street which lay north of Wentworth Street, and which was then known as Sandy's Row. The street hitherto had had no direct communication with Bishopsgate Street. When, therefore, the City Commissioners of Sewers at this time asked the Council to contribute towards their project for widening the western end of Widegate Street where it joined Bishopsgate Street, the Council took the opportunity to arrange for the construction of a new street to join Widegate Street to Sandy's Row. A further line of communication from Bishopsgate Street to Whitechapel and the docks was thus provided. The Council agreed to pay half the cost of the Widegate Street improvement and also to widen Sandy's Row to forty feet between the new street and Wentworth Street. In September 1891 the Council resolved to apply to Parliament for power to carry out that part of the work which lay within the County, which was granted in the London County Council (General Powers) Act of 1892.  The Council began to act on their powers in July of that year.

The Act permitted the Council to acquire land as far east as Cox's Square and New Court. This was to allow the clearance of dilapidated property in the area, in addition to the proposed street widening. The difficulty of rehousing the displaced inhabitants, however, prevented the clearance being carried out at this time, and only the property actually needed for the street was acquired and demolished. The line between the new street and Wentworth Street was widened by setting back its eastern side. The complete thoroughfare, from Bishopsgate Street to Wentworth Street, was opened in March 1896. The cost of the work in Sandy's Row alone was £53,426. The name ’Middlesex Street’ was then applied to the whole new line of street.


BL Insurance Plan of London Vol XI sheet 316 1BL Insurance Plan of London Vol XI sheet 316 1

 Below is an extract of the above Insurance Plan of London with Cox's Square clearly shown. Their home, No 4 is the last house on the left of the row, or to the West. It is interesting that just above Cox's Square is a London General Omnibus Co. Ltd. property with Hay & Straw stores. Very convenient for a Carman. Maybe the place to live was provided by the bus company. Horse drawn buses of course at that date.

BL Insurance Plan of London Vol XI sheet 316 4BL Insurance Plan of London Vol XI sheet 316 4


OS Map 25 Wentworth StreetOS Map 25" Wentworth Street with marker at approx. location of Cox's Square

 Elizabeth and James home in Cox's Square is less than a mile away from Martha Frances and Thomas Scott's home in 61 Bethnal Green Road.



Nothing yet


Elizabeth Hone nee Eldridge and James Hone children's Baptism Records.



Elizabeth Hone

Baptised Elizabeth Hone 24 Nov 1850

 Elizabeth Hone born 25 August 1850 to James & Elizabeth Hone of 2 Anthony Street, St George in the East, Middlesex. Baptised 24 November 1850. Her father James is recorded as being a Carman.

Her parents names, occupation, and place of abode correlate with other evidence.

Note that the record above Elizabeth is for an Eldridge family. Not yet identified as part of the family, but it could be a family gathering dual baptism.





Key data about Elizabeth Eldridge and her family.



Key Dates



Elizabeth Eldridge Key Dates
Name Birth Baptism Marriage Death Interval between children Mothers age at birth
Elizabeth Eldridge    23rd July 1826 19th August 1849     (Marriage 25 y, 1 m, 29 d)
James Hone     19th August 1849      
Elizabeth Hone 25th August 1850  24th November 1850       (Marriage 2 y, 7 m, 28 d) 27 years, 9 months, 26 days
James George          1 year, 1 month, 7 days 28 years, 11 months, 1 day
 William          3 years, 8 months, 5 days 32 years, 7 months, 5 days
 Ellen          1 year, 9 months, 13 days 34 years, 4 months, 17 days
Jane         2 years, 24 days 36 years, 5 months, 19 days
Thomas         2 years, 11 months, 5 days 39 years, 4 months, 13 days
 Sarah          3 years, 3 months, 2 days 42 years, 7 months, 24 days






Family Tree for xx
      his father his mother   her farther her mother      
        him   her        
child 1 child 2 child 3 child 4 child 5   child 6 child 7 child 8 child 9 child 10
        next ancestor   or next ancestor        
child 1 child 2 child 3 child 4 child 5   child 6 child 7 child 8 child 9 child 10


Related Articles

Mercy Nash Eldridge b. 1820

Martha Baynes Eldridge b. 1819

Richard Eldridge b. 1817


Flag Counter