Development of Epsom Court
Before delving into the maps of Epsom and particularly Epsom Court I would like to refer you to The Epsom and Ewell History Explorer (EEHE) and the article on Epsom Court.
This site brings together articles covering the local history of the area. The articles may have been inspired by many things including specific suggestions, memories, printed works and of course the internet.
Epsom Court is one such article.
Epsom Court Alias Epsom Lodge or Court Farm, formerly the Saxon manor house of Epsom established upon a Roman site?
The Location It may be conjectured that a Roman road linked the villa and tile-works on Ashtead Common to the site of Epsom Court Farm where Toland, in his letter descriptive of Epsom from 1711, mentioned Roman remains. This would have extended from Woodcock Corner on the parish boundary, proceeding south of the present B280 Chessington Road and Christchurch Road to Clayhill Green. Seller’s map of 1690 indicates a secondary route to Ewell which passed Ashtead’s Woodfield before continuing north of Ebsham Wells and then on by Ebsham Court generally following a line suggested by Reginald White on his map in Ancient Epsom (1928). This way would have crossed a stream which still issues from The Cricketers’ pond at Stamford Green but has been contained in a culvert below Christchurch Road. At some time in history, however, a ford here would have been lined with imported stones (likely to have been flints) to improve the going over clay and so the location became known as Stamford as a corruption of the Old English stan [stone] ford. Then, as a letter in The Times of 31 August 1925 reported, ‘at the back of West Hill House, Epsom, there was a piece of Roman road showing … [which] might only have gone to Ebba’s Hame, the Court Farm, Epsom’. From Clay Hill Green the route continued along the present bridle path, Pound Lane. The supposed Roman road appears on the 18th century Rocque map included later in this piece.
The article enticed me look at the entry for Epsom in the Domesday Book, a complete survey of England written in AD 1086.
It had a recorded population of 44 households in 1086, putting it in the largest 20% of settlements recorded in Domesday.
Land of Chertsey (St Peter), abbey of
Households: 34 villagers. 4 smallholders. 6 slaves.
Land and resources
Ploughland: 17 ploughlands. 1 lord's plough teams. 17 men's plough teams.
Other resources: Meadow 24 acres. Woodland 20 swine render. 2 mills, value 10 shillings. 2 churches.
Annual value to lord: 17 pounds in 1086; 20 pounds in 1066.
Tenant-in-chief in 1086: Chertsey (St Peter), abbey of.
Lord in 1086: Chertsey (St Peter), abbey of.
Lord in 1066: Chertsey (St Peter), abbey of.
Phillimore reference: Surrey 8,9
The Land was owned by the Abbey of Chertsey (St Peter) in both 1066 and in 1086.
There were 6 slaves in the community of 38 villagers and smallholders.
The value to the lord was £17 in 1086. Compare this to the Tithe Values below.
There were 14 places in the hundred of Copthorne in Domesday Book, of which Epsom was one.
Memory-Map Historical Maps
A century on and the railways have arrived, but the area is still predominantly fields or common land. The railway built to the north of Epsom, on the outskirts. Epsom Court clearly visible.
National Library of Scotland Ordnance Survey Maps
Tithes Apportionment and maps
|144 square inches||1 square foot|
|9 square feet||1 square yard|
|30¼ square yards||1 perch|
|40 perches||1 rood|
|4 roods||1 acre|
|640 acres||1 square mile|
John Trotter is a landowner in Epsom with 1046 acres 3 roods aka roodes 3 perches.
He is also one of the main recipients of the impropriator tithe in the Sum of £225, the same amount as the Rev. R Parkhurst as another impropriator. Each earning about 25% of the total tithe for the parish of Epsom, £894 5s 10p. The relative income value of that income or wealth is £1,014,000.00 in 2020.
The vicar living from the tithe apportionment is £350 10s 10d.
- John Trotter 626a 3r 9p occupied by himself with tithes of £45 2s 3d to the vicar and £121 13s 0d to himself, as the Impropriator.
- Henry Stone 110a 0r 37p with tithes of £7 5s 2d to the vicar and £21 5s 0d to the Impropriator.
- Thomas Whitbourne 309a 2r 37p with tithes of £26 11s 5d to the vicar and £80 0s 0d to the Impropriator.
The Reverend Fleetwood Parkhurst appears not to occupy tithe land in the parish of Epsom, but is recorded as landowner with a number of different occupiers.
- Rebecca Cooke
Tithe Map with approximate locations of some of the new roads. Temple road first, in orange. Waterloo road, in grey, under the railway, perhaps to provide a greater hight clearance than the Hook Road bridge, previously known as Kingstone Lane of the tithe map. The estate roads in brown. The locations are only plotted by observation of comparable maps, not properly geolocated. The footprint does appear to exceed the underlining plots or fields.
The measured area of the estate is 0.020 Square Miles, which converts to 12.8 Acres. The tithe apportionment for plots 213 and 217 totals 7a 3r 7p. It would be more normal for a development to be built within existing field boundaries.